Spend an enjoyable day designing and creating a simple bird automaton including producing mechanical movement based on a simple crank.
Under Susan’s guidance you will learn:
– how to carve and finish a simplified shaped bird from lime or basswood.
– how to make a simple but effective crank which converts circular movement into a reciprocal (up and down) one.
– be inspired and develop other ideas using the crank system principle
– the decorative processes to use on painted or stained wood
People work at different speeds and will wish to execute slightly different design ideas so it is possible that a little more time might be needed to finish off at the end of the day. Please note that there the possibility of this workshop over-running at the end of the day…. let us know at the beginning of the day if this a problem for you.
Please note there is a £8 material charge payable on the day.
Click on the title below to find a list of what you’ll need to bring with you if anything.
What to expect
Time at ArtisOn is designed to take you away from it all and provide the environment, the time and the guidance you need to create. You can expect a warm welcome, skilled and friendly tutors plus the chance to meet like-minded people keen to share ideas and experiences. You can even leave us to clear up the mess! There will usually be two workshops going on and we encourage everyone to mingle and be nosey about what the other workshop is up to.
Arrive in time to meet other participants over a cup of tea or coffee and biscuits before beginning your session at the appointed time. There will be a mid-morning break for refreshments and a chance to talk over progress with others. Lunch is usually around 12:45 for about 45 mins – you can expect a homemade 2 course lunch. The main course will be delicious but don’t overdo it as the puds are usually worth waiting for! There will be a further afternoon break with the most wonderful cakes from Roots & Fruits Home Bakery, a North Yorkshire micro-bakery producing handmade bread and cakes. All food and refreshments are included in the price of the workshop.
Finish time is given as a target – there are occasions when the session may overrun so do let us know if you need to be away promptly.
We aim for your day to be a real treat… of course you could always learn a new skill in a shed or a draughty village hall with a curly sandwich, but we want you to have more fun than that! So we make it a day being looked after, with good food, good company and great inspiration!
What you’ll need to bring with you
Please ensure you wear clothes you don't mind getting messy. Also please bring the following with you:
- a sketch book along with any pictures to inspire design ideas for your birds
- any interesting wood or driftwood to you'd like to incorporate (optional as some will be provided) - ideally 1.5"/2" wide
- if you have a carving knife that you are used to using, please bring it along
- any fine paint brushes you may have will save you sharing
All other materials and equipment will be provided.